Monday, November 11, 2013

Date night at the theatre

I was all packed and ready for my (cold) weekend in Ohio when I scored last minute tickets to Ghost at the FOX. I called my favorite date and gave instructions for dinner:

1. Somewhere with wine
2. Somewhere new (and exciting! and yummy!) 
3. Oh, and I want to dress up

Standard date night rules really.

The show started at 8 and there is no reason to go early to the FOX unless you have never been before (and if you haven't you need to go NOW, go EARLY, and EXPLORE every inch).


I was lucky to have many ballerina best friends during high school that spent November and December dancing the Nutcracker at the Fox. On days they would have a matinee performance, we would skip school, play backstage, and watch the performances while acting as fancy Atlanta socialites and important swan queens. So I have seen almost every nook hidden in the place - believe me there is enough to keep you busy!

Due to Friday traffic and thinking I had enough time for the gym (I didn't) our dinner was cut short to hors d'oeuvres and wine (Check #1) at the Livingston across the street from the theater.The Livingston is in the Georgian Terrace in the heart of Atlanta. Although a large metropolis, Atlanta doesn't have many places that make you feel like you are in the heart of the city as Peachtree Road does. So it is always exciting (half check #2) to venture there - even if I drive on the road a few times a week.


The hotel is beautiful and the Livingston follows the same sleek, southern design. Its deep halls, white marble, and high ceilings are old antebellum charm with a modern twist.


Proof + Provision occupies the basement of the hotel and has been our go to stop for drinks and celebrations lately. If you make it to after dinner drinks head down to play games, socialize, and try specialty cocktails. Remember, the valet is free for 3 hours.

Since we had the show to get to, we sat at the bar of the Livingston - which is a spot I usually prefer. You can catch all the quirks of the kitchen and always know which servers the bartenders like. I have had many serving jobs in my life and you must keep that bartender happy!


There are only 8 seats at the bar and the rest of the space is filled with high tables and benches. We chatted with the bartenders, tried a few dishes, and left satisfied. FYI - the bartenders are heavy pourers (thank you!)  


This is obviously a previously consumed heavy pour..

The menu selections we chose were delicious (Check #2!)We started with fried oysters with tomato grits and sauce gribiche. Tomato grits, why have I never thought of you before!?


And bacon-wrapped dates with arugula and fromage blanc. I can't stop thinking about these, they were smoky and warm for the first cold night of winter.


With minutes to spare we ran to our seats in the FOX. It just feels great to walk in through the open foyer, greeted by the doorman as you enter the theatre for the evening.

We caught our seats just as the bells began to chime for the show to begin. 


Ghost had a short run in Atlanta, as it is touring the US, but the show was entertaining and well done. It seamlessly transitioned from movie to stage with the use of amazing effects and great acting. The effects that they used turned the show into a 3D, live action movie and the timing and visuals were impressive. I didn't love the silly dance numbers but I know they are a necessary component to a stage performance.

Overall it was a successful night, great meal and great show - check it out while it continues its run if you can! have seen the movie many times but forgot how sad it was - Sam + Molly Forever. Oh, and FYI, my favorite beige heels were out for the evening so Check #3.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment