Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Superpacks and Scotch Tape

I love October because it means I can start decorating for Halloween and constructing quirky Halloween costumes for parties and work. I have been scotch tape, King Kong's hand, and a pink crayon to name a few. 

This costume is my very easy: 
  • Scottish fabric (I found this in the remnants pile at Joann's) 
  • Saran wrap for the tape
  • Tupperware bowl with the bottom punched out for the spool. I punched small holes into the sides and directly sewed the bowl onto the fabric of the dress.
My all time favorite!  

My love of quirky costumes is not only relevant in October; I work at a Children's Hospital that encourages crazy dress up days all year long. Our job requires us to plan and attend fun events with coworkers and (occasionally) spend afternoons with celebrities that stumble through our lobby radio station. In the past month, Derek Hough, Icona Pop, and Selena Gomez have kept my job more interesting! If I could only make requests and have Justin Timberlake sing and dance for me all afternoon.


Most recently, we dressed up for a Superhero 5K in Piedmont Park and knowing my enjoyment of making fun costumes, two of my coworkers let me be in charge of their attire for the morning run.


I didn't want to go the usual route and be superheroes so I whipped up SUPERPACKS! These were so fun to make and I am really happy with how they turned out. Plus, they were quite the hit at the race as we ran by with our flames flying in the wind.

With Halloween around the corner this would be a great adddition to any costume. You will need:
  • Streamers (orange and/or red) 
  • 2 liter bottles 
  • Glitter spray paint or colored spray paint  
  • Glitter  
  • Cardboard 
  • Elastic bands 
  • Hot glue gun

Start out by emptying your liters to spray. To spray evenly I set up my bottles on bamboo poles (it grows like weeds next to Lake Serenity in my backyard) or any other stick that the bottle will fit on. 


I started off using "Glitter Blast". A spray paint with glitter but after one liter was finished, the can was jammed and coming on in glitter gobs. Ick.


It did come out nice after drying but I was only able to get one superpack covered! If you are making one I recommend using it, but I was making several and had to change my tactic. 

For the others I used a colored spray paint and before it dried coated them in gold, red, and silver glitter. It had the same effect and was much cheaper. Make sure to be quick with the glitter tho - spray paint dries fast! 


As the bottles dried, I spray painted small squares of cardboard the same color of each pack and cut two small holes for arm straps that I tied through each side.

Hot glue two liters together and the cardboard squares to the back of each superpack. Glue LOTS of streamers into the inside of the bottles for flames I cut them at three separate lengths for more momentum as we ran. The final products were great fun and we got a lot of use zooming across the yard!


And across the Park as we ran our 5K. We all gave away our packs to kiddos at the end of the day but this is a great (quick) costume to make up with Halloween right around the corner.

No comments:

Post a Comment