Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Beignets for Birthdays

I love birthdays.

Especially my own, but I tag along to any of my loved ones and force them to celebrate, have parties, have big expensive dinners, and drink (probably too excessively) because I love anything birthday.

And that is why I forced this man out of his house and into downtown Roswell for dinner and music at Roux. A small Cajun seafood joint, it is mostly packed with people at the bar but if you can snag a seat you're in luck.

 
 The restaurant was tight and forced the waitors to squeeze by chairs and bar stools with piles of food. A band was playing in the corner and by the time we left, patrons were bursting out of the doors into the street. 

An old friend from Milton owns and runs the restaurant so it is always exciting to see people you know doing well - and to help them along the way!

We started with Malbec for the table (I am on a Malbec kick now that I am learning so much from my sommelier lessons) and a Southern sampler. You probably would assume that any Southern sampler is a plate of fried food - and you would be correct.

Unfortunately, this was the best part of the meal. Pitas with a red pepper jelly, fried pimento cheese balls, and fried green tomatoes. It was imaginative without ruining in of the comforts of the dishes individually. The fried pimento cheese tasted as fattening as they probably are but the fried green tomatoes were light and perfect. 

This fella even came to celebrate for the night and it was great to see him. My favorite sibling (although there isn't much competition) is always a good time!
Do you see the resemblance? No, us either.


My mouth had been watering all day, waiting patiently for oysters that had been recommend at Roux. I love oysters and tried the Oysters Rockefeller. I am sad to say it was one of the most disappointing meals I have ever ordered.

It wasn't the fact that the oysters were horrible (they were), and I won't even mention that it is a good month to order them because with farm raised, factory produced food, there is no foundation to picking oysters by the month any longer. No, my main frustration came from the Spinach Dip mix that was slathered on top of my oysters.

As well as the fact that one of the shells did NOT have an oyster. Seems hard to miss but that right there was the end of the meal for me.

We finished our drinks and sang our happy birthdays before heading out into downtown Roswell. Make your way down there to experience the atmosphere which is awesome for a night out, but maybe stick to drinks though!
By sharing an Instagram of Roux on Canton you receive a free beignet. My family is Instagram lovers and would have shared any way but 6 photos later they asked us to stop taking all the beignets.

It was the least we could do to celebrate the birthday boy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment