Thursday, November 14, 2013

"The Good Life is the Simple One" - a H+F and H+H night.

 Head + the Heart killed it at Buckhead Theatre last night. They are such an amazing live band with talented musicians and their blend of vocals is mesmerizing.


I have not been to Buckhead Theatre in a few years since it was The Roxy and forgot how much I love it. The venue is the perfect size for an intimate show - the band chats with one another and the crowd the entire night, it is like you are there to see your best friends play. And, I would totally hang out with them - so if any of y'all have connections, please let me know :)


We went to dinner before the show (more on that later) and got there just it time for the two openers. If you are looking into some new bands, definitely check out Quiet Life, who are quickly becoming my new obsession and Thao and The Get Down Stay Down. The lead singer is this confident little Asian chick that changes instruments every song and just kills it and the drummer is an exact replica of my father in his twenties. 


Before the show I finally made it to Holeman+Finch, which I am amazed I haven't tried yet being that I used to live less than a mile from it - but better late than never I suppose! I was really tempted to order the hamburgers that everyone raves about but we opted to try multiple dishes across the menu - and I am so glad we did.

The menu is split between plates/parts/farm as well as an extensive cheese selection with wine pairing. The waiter suggested ordering 2-3 items per person but honestly don't order more than two (if you can narrow it down since everything looks mouth-watering). The prices per dish are very reasonable, between $9-$16 and the waiter was knowledgeable and honest about the dishes. We had Steak Tartare, Sapelo Island Clams, Fish + Chips, and Kohlrabi Gratin and had tons of food left over. I really tried to finish every. last. bite.

My favorite by far was the hand chopped steak tartare with farm egg, creole mustard, and shoestring potatoes. The potatoes were extra crispy and the flavor of the steak was flawless.


I also had to try the Sapelo Island clams since I visited the island so often from days living on the boat. We used to collect these guys as we raced around Sapelo and now here I am paying for them!  


The clams are sunken in a broth of cream and chicken stock spiked with rye whiskey and slices of jalapeño and bacon. The broth just begs you to dip the bread in and the clams are plump with just the right amount of saltiness.Plus, they gave me another dish to check off of my list of 100 Dishes.

We tried the kohlrabi gratin and fish + chips - both equally great. The fish came with a vinegar malt that was bitter and sweet and the gratin was warm with gooey baked cheese and parmesan.


I enjoyed the food but the vibe of the restaurant might have made it even better. It had high backed booths that are private enough in the dining room and dim lights with a wall of windows. The staff is overly friendly and laid-back, answering all our questions and attentive to our every need.

When you go, make a point to grab a cocktail from their ever changing menu.They have a great bar area  that makes up most of the space of the restaurant so it is a good place to start while meeting your party (or maybe some other patrons...you never know!)


Yum.

No comments:

Post a Comment