Monday, December 16, 2013

Shoya Izakaya


I cheat when I go out to eat. I bring some of the best chefs in Atlanta and don't even peek at a menu. I let them discuss the options, pick out the best items, and then describe how things are made (or should be), ingredients, techniques, everything. It is the best way to eat and sufficiently try out a menu.
My friends are awesome - just look at this concentration.

Chefs always try little dishes of everything, not only food - fried shrimp to BBQ octopus, pork belly to assorted pickles but methods - raw to fried, braised and steamed, find hidden items I never notice or would attempt (salmon skin anyone?),  and make the experience - satisfying in more ways than one! AKA - FULL. 

Last night we went for a big family dinner at Shoya Izakaya. The only authentic Japanese pub around that serves small-plate style to eat and share among a group the true way. There are even instructions so we remember how we are supposed to do it.

 The restaurant is far down Peachtree Road, past Brookhaven near Super H mart - which is an adventure in itself. We were shown into the tatami room with a buzzer that you used to call the wait staff to bring in more of anything - usually we called for sake but occasionally more wasabi rolls, tuna tartare, or extra sweet refreshing ginger. (My request always!)

We fought over who was able to press the buzzer every time. 

The correct way to eat at izakaya is to linger over your food, eat small plates, share with your table, and drink (it is a pub after all) and it is exactly what we did. We continued our weekend long drinking fest with sake and pitchers of Japenese beer and ordered as the menu enticed us (or honestly, as it enticed B..)

We ordered the menu and only left one lone piece of sushi behind. Which is impressive when it began as this. If you ever need to know, sushi for 8 drunk/hungover/exhausted adults takes precisely 13 rolls. I should be ashamed to admit it - but it's too wonderful to be ashamed of.

  
Sushi is something I have always liked but never appreciated until recently. I am willing to give anything a try - especially with chefs encouraging you on - but this handy list describing how each are rolled is my new favorite. It makes me want to try them all... plus this is good to have on hand for future adventures into sushi tastings.

 

Though the sushi may have been the end, it was far from the beginning. First we had small plates - though too many to mention them all the do not miss items are: wasabi dumplings - pork dumplings covered in wasabi infused wrapping. Just hot enough to kick your sinuses in gear without making me hate my taste buds the rest of the evening.

 

Chicken karage which is battered and fried in what tatstes like funnel cake batter. Yes, I am sure this is horrible for me. Take one and share but an interesting new taste treat.


 As well as tuna tartare - I licked the bowl clean (the recipe at Shoya may be my favorite - which is saying ALOT), chicken, tomato, bacon, pork (etc!) skewers, gyoza, odon (yum), assorted pickles, fried baby shrimp and of course, the sushi. 


I am still full.

No comments:

Post a Comment