Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Refurbished dart boards

You know you have always lived with too many boys when items like this fill your basement.

 
This is what Christmas gifts tend to be in my family - which is why we finally put a stop to gifting at Christmas and why I make 10 or more trips to Goodwill a year. Knowing those few dollars could have gone towards a trip or dinner plans frustrate me. 

Considering no one at Goodwill wants a magnetic dart board either, I chose to re-purpose this gift as best I could using some leftover fabric still lying around from my dresser redo.

You will only need a few items to complete this project:
  • Hot glue gun 
  • Metal board (a cookie tray will work)
  • Scissors 
  • Your choice of fabric 
  • Magnets

Lay your fabrics out over your board or tray and remove any creases.


Measure out your fabrics and keep enough to pull the fabric taut underneath. Doing this will allow you to only glue the fabric on the back. Glue along the entire side and pull tight from the other end - but not so much you pull the fabric off!


At the corners, make cuts so that you can cut off the overlapping folds. This will keep the board sitting evenly on the wall at all sides.


Unfortunately, I first only had magnets that would not withhold the weight of my makeup products so this project took a pitstop as a photo collage for a few weeks (and still using the magnetic darts!)










I purchased stronger magnetic strips from Hobby Lobby for the round mascara and brushes that also held the heavier items such as foundation. 


 The lighter and more quickly used items were held using small magnets with adhesive backs that will adhere directly to your makeup products. This also will allow you to remove and reapply to new products when your makeup is old or used.

This new room is slowly coming together..


3 comments:

  1. I get my ideas from only the best!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice post. We provide Darts services at South port BC,Australia and we dispatch darts and dart boards all over Australia. Please do visit our website or contact us any time, we would love to help you.

    ReplyDelete