Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Backstage (NO)Passes

Last Friday I spent happy hour in my very favorite place, watching planes coming and going at the Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport in Atlanta.
Well, it is my second favorite. The first being anywhere in the sky at 32,000 feet. Due to flight delays we spent a quick 32 hours in Chicago, Illinois but it helped us enjoy every. last. SECOND.

Which we did.

We stayed with our good friends, B+A from our days in Athens and forced them out to do all the touristy activities we could squeeze in. We started at "The Bean" in Cloudgate Park. It is located off of S. Michigan Avenue in downtown Chicago, and next to an outdoor amphitheater along the water.


We took all the necessary "selfies" in the Bean. Ya'll know how much we love selfies, so there is a lot more like this - trust me!


We walked to Sears Tower (now called Willis Tower) to peer off the Sky Deck and stand on one of the tallest buildings in the world. It is the EIGHTH tallest and the sky deck on the top is a clear square that makes you dizzy and scared to look down.


Or so I have heard. Unfortunately, the line was 2+ hours long and we just don't have time for it during our crash course of Chicago. We walked in the lobby so I could tentatively check it off the #bucketlist. I guess I have a reason to go back now!

We had to hurry our little feet because we had LOLLAPALOOZA to attend. Lolla is an annual music festival in Grant Park and hosts some 120,000+ people between the Chicago skyline and shores of Lake Michigan.


We had a pretty great crew to celebrate the weekend, so many wonderful faces that live much too far from me.


I have been to many music festivals - most of the big ones in the U.S., and Grant Park is my new favorite venue for a festival. We played in the park all afternoon and late into the night- enjoying the scenery and cooler Chicago weather. 

 
It was a perfect day of smiles,

the best of friends (I wish you could see my flower headband better in this photo)

and bands! We saw Mumford+Sons, Lumineers, The National, Local Natives, Charles Bradley, Ben Howard, St. Lucia, Family of the Year, and Eric Church.

Let me rephrase that - I saw Eric Church from ON stage.


As in, K and I stood next to Eric Church's wife in the sound booth to enjoy the show.

We knew the drummer and decided to see how far we could get backstage before being stopped. Just so you know, THIS is how far we got.


He's a pretty good looking man, no?! 


We enjoyed the perks of backstage - not being packed in this sea of people, jealousy from all our friends, a humble brag post on Facebook (I just had to)

 
and of course shots with ERIC CHURCH and his band before a successful show!


It is amazing what you can get away with when you are pretending you know what you are doing. 


Advice from this post: Go on that trip even if your plane is delayed, even if you will only be there for 32 hours, even if you are exhausted Monday at work because you never know when you will end up on stage with Eric Church.

And you just don't get two opportunities to do that!


No comments:

Post a Comment