Sunday, August 18, 2013

Silly messages cause (delicious) cravings

On Tuesday morning I woke up to five text messages from my best friend, M, to her fiancé pleading for a big bowl of mac & cheese as she was getting off an all night flight from Londontown.

It gave me a good chuckle to wake up to but it got me thinking about mac&cheese. One of those cravings that you can't help but think about ALL DAY. The worst thing about this craving is, I dislike pasta and thus, it can never fully be satisfied.

Yes I said it, I don't like pasta. Let's move on.

What is a girl to do? Well if you are a girl like me, you start with whole wheat penne pasta, roast up lots of fresh vegetables, coat it in panko, and bake it in the oven. This is how you make Mac&Cheese healthy enough to enjoy it.


Roasted Vegetable Mac & Cheese

Chop up vegetables that you enjoy - I used broccoli, zucchini, carrots, and portabella mushrooms.


Toss in salt, pepper, cayenne pepper, olive oil


  Roast at 400 about 20 minutes or until your vegetables are soft.


While roasting, make pasta as directed. I used an 8 ounce box of whole wheat penne pasta. I like my pasta al dente and with baking after done, do not allow to get too soft.


Coat with cheese(I used cheddar for this step) and a touch of milk.


Add the roasted vegetables. At this point I also added fresh tomatoes from the garden and roasted red peppers that I already had canned early in the season.
 

Transfer to an 8X10 glass baking dish. Top with Mozzarella, panko, and bake at 350 until all melted and crispy on top.



Craving satisfied!

This post is dedicated to Mr. C for that fateful night last summer when he went to buy me a hot dog at Turner Field and came back with a bowl of mac&cheese. 

No comments:

Post a Comment