Saturday, September 7, 2013

Game Day+Cupcakes+Flowers (with a side of puppies and robberies)

It is that time of the year for the leaves to change, the weather to cool, and cookouts and Georgia football to start again. I would say I am excited, but I'm not. I am still waiting on my humid summer nights, dark tan lines, and throwing my pack on to roam around Europe. Summer, you owe me.

But you have heard me whine about Summer enough this year so while I am stuck in Georgia I plan on celebrating all of our Fall festivals accordingly. Staring with GAME DAY and my little, K's birthday.

In college, this became a crazy birthday weekend and although we missed out on the Athens bar scene we still created it as best we could.  

We did our best to annoy help A as he grilled up steaks, brats, and chicken.



and set up the projector to watch the game like the best days at STA.


We also had a guest of honor because K's birthday present was a sweet pup named Hoover!


One more, because look at this guy and those puppy eyes...


He is the sweetest and we were all smitten instantly. We all had to be as close as possible to the little guy.

The whole day had the great gameday feel. It is a bit like Christmas morning, waking up and turning on Gameday and getting into the kitchen to whip up some gameday goodies. The first place that notices its football season is my kitchen. When else would I whip up bright red cupcakes...


Since we were also celebrating a birthday, I decided to make "Cupcake Flowers" so the best things in life were covered.

 To make your own you will need a terra cotta pot - I covered this with chalkboard paint for all of the "Happy Birthdays" and "Go Dawgs" messages I could squeeze in.



 Styrofoam to fit into the flower pot. I used a round ball to fit snuggly into the pot and cut it into halves, because these types of items are always good to have on hand. You can find these at any hobby store around you.


After frosting the red cupcakes with icing, to complete my red+black requirement, or whatever team you choose to celebrate, use wooden spokes to spear each cupcake into the Styrofoam.  

Helpful hint: make some cupcakes smaller with less frosting for the sides. Since they will be speared into the Styrofoam on a bit of a slope, they should not be top heavy. I also popped it in the freezer for a few hours until the game - because humidity kills in Georgia. 



If you are presenting it as a gift like I did, make sure to bring some chalk because everyone will want their turn signing. 

Gerogia football+cupcakes+flowers.

We even ended the night with some Hobbin + Bobbin.  

Happy Fall from The Landing.


1 comment: