Monday, October 28, 2013

Spider and Skeleton Halloween Wreaths

I have been endless drooling over those cute DIY Fall wreaths on everyone's door and Pinterest page and finally decided that since I have a very cute new front door at my house, I had to give them a try.  They are SO EASY. Seriously, I am upset I haven't been making these for the holidays and Christmas gifts for years! 

I decided on a small 8 inch wreath for my first try to see how it went. 

 
You can get these at any hobby store - this is from Micheal's. The smallest wreath is about $2.50 and even the largest is less than $5 so its cheap enough to give it a shot. This one worked really well and the wires are maneuverable which helps when you are threading through the burlap.

Since I was making a smaller wreath I only purchased 1 roll of burlap that was 4" wide. One roll is about 10 yards and I used almost all of it. If you plan on making any bigger of a wreath, make sure to get two rolls of burlap.  


However, I am putting this wreath on a glass door so I wanted both sides to have the same look. If you want to save some burlap, tighten the coils of burlap you make in the back and loop them out bigger in the front. This will also keep it from sitting so far off the door.

 And then start looping through the wires - over, under, over repeatedly and scrunch up the burlap to the desired length. It is good to scrunch as you go to keep the coil of burlap tight around the edges.


Keep the initial edge loose to tuck in at the end and cover as much of the wires with the loops as possible. It may look somewhat messy at the beginning but keep coiling the burlap and spreading out the loops - you really can't mess this up!


And finally add your favorite touches. I made two for Halloween - I was very excited when the first worked out so well! One with glitter spiders that I will be using for many more projects this year. These were great because the spider legs fit right into the holes on the burlap with no glue or pins. So far no falling either! Just gruesome enough for the boy roommate to like and glittered enough for my taste!


To the other I attached a skeleton bow that I pinned on to the wires of the wreath. This way I can substitute any new Fall decorations as soon as Halloween is over and keep the wreath out for more celebrations!

These rolls of ribbon are on sale at Micheal's for $1 a roll. There isn't much length to them so make big looping bows and use it all up! They are a great addition to use year after year.


Happy Halloween Week! Now on to costumes... What is everyone dressing as this year? I need some inspiration! 

No comments:

Post a Comment