Tuesday, July 2, 2013

You are now free to move about the country.

This all started as a travel blog (those many months ago) and FINALLY I am getting back to my roots and #deltabratting across the country.

I love every bit of traveling, even all the boring tidbits - the packing, the train ride to the airport, and the anxiety of getting on flights. I am happier sleeping on the floor of the airport when I have spent the day getting bumped from flights than sitting at home. But that is how I have traveled from the beginning and that is how I hope to always travel. I am embarrassed to admit the amount of tears that I will shed the day I am too old to stay at a hostel.

This trip came from bittersweet circumstance - my job was ending but it gave me a week to vagabond about before transitioning into my new role. I knew I NEEDED to head West but wasn't exactly sure where I would end up. Hiking the Narrows, seeing S perform in Vegas, drinking until twilight in Napa, or all of the above. All I knew was the West was calling me home.

I ended up in beautiful San Francisco and though I am prejudice to many other cities around the world, it quickly shot up my list of favorites after a few blissed out days. This is one of my favorites from crooked Lombard Street looking out to Alcatraz.
We were blessed with amazing weather - warm with no fog. If you are familiar with SF you know this view is quite peculiar!

We spent Saturday playing tourists - enjoying all the activities you secretly love but know you shouldn't. We watched the seals lay in the sun off of Pier 39. If you want a good shot - go early to miss the crowds and all the touristy shops (no one secretly loves those).


Sweet guys may even pose for a shot with you


America's Cup is being held in SF this summer, an annual yachting match with teams from countries around the world. Trials are to begin this week and last through September, so with yachts coming and going and sound stages being erected; by afternoon Fisherman's Wharf was littered with people.


Wanting to stay as long as possible near Italian yachting men (right?!) I lingered near Fisherman's Wharf and stumbled upon a Farmer's Market and one can never say "no" to a Farmer's Market.


Plums, Avocados, Artichokes...


 Beets, Grapes, Radishes....


The Ferry Plaza market is held each Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday in front of the Bay along the Embarcadero. On Saturdays, food trucks and chefs from around the city setup stalls to serve fresh, delicious meals.

After grabbing some fresh goodies and a good meal, we made our way to Golden Gate Park.
If you are feeling adventurous, walking the bridge is exhilarating, especially on a day with views like these
Walk the bridge South to North to have the wind at your back (yes, it makes a BIG difference), a restroom at the end, and bring a coat. Just trust me, it is cold up there!

 The next morning after a full day of sightseeing, I could not leave SF without one last important stop. The Painted Ladies - and where the sitcom Full House was filmed! Don't judge me.


Seven of the houses lining Alamo Square have been coined the "Painted Ladies" but all of the houses in the area have amazing Victorian architecture and intricate details. I want to live in a house this beautiful one day and a city this mesmerizing.
It is true.. I left my heart in San Francisco!

No comments:

Post a Comment