Monday, July 30, 2012

LO12

I am going to start with DEVASTING news - I just arrived back from London Olympics and I lost EVERY picture from the trip. I am not yet up to talking about it and I wish I had more pictures to share, please forgive this boring post!

I love being in Europe. It has been too long since my last trip and I wasn't ready to go. I used to tell people I hated London, that it was a place with no culture, no vivacious energy, it was just a normal, dull big city and I didn't like it. I could not have been more wrong. I was young and silly, do not judge me.

Now, I think the only way to describe it is vivacious. It was romantic and diverse and cultured and smart. I love London and I could have stayed forever and the cheeky gentlemen running the hostel almost convinced me otherwise.

We flew into Belgium and took the train to London since flights are booked and so expensive because of the Olympic Games. But we made it!
Enjoying our departure champagne:)

We stayed on the West End of London at the Pheonix Hostel. I will always recommend staying in hostels because it will enhance your holiday - unless of course you want your alone time or have issues sleeping in rooms with perfect strangers. For me its the people that make traveling such a pleasure. It is the little things - the words, the idiosyncrasies, the smiles, the wardrobes, the conversations. It's putting yourself so far out of your comfort zone and pulling yourself out. Its making new friends - best friends - every night. Which is of course, is exactly what we did.

We arrived in London and the city was full of amazing energy. Matty had not been to London so we did the usual touristy activities - out to see the sights and ride the tube, and to catch some events for the Olympic Games! The weather was PERFECT and the city was packed.  


We found some amazing friends at the hostel and went out everynight. I was hoping to meet Dahl but he had gone on holiday in Spain.

I wished I had pictres to share but we spent alot of time in the Olympic Village. We could not get into any events but we saw some road events along the Mall and could watch in the parks on screens that were set up. We picnic'ed and watched and listened to bands.

We walked the bridges, saw the Palace, shopped, went on a Jack the Ripper walking tour (Matty's pick) and just had an amazing time. London, stole my heart. London was my first taste of travel when I was young. It was my gateway to Europe and began my unquenchable wanderlust.

I secretly hoped and dreaded that this trip would be an ending to my traveling. I was woried that in this trip I would feel as it had all come full circle and would bring a close to this era. That I would feel content with the experiences I have had and move on to new venues in my life. I never hope to end my traveling but I feel like I need to focus on the next steps of my life and cease my relentless planning.
London was not full circle, not even close. It made me want more - like it always does - and I am ready for it ALL.

Olympic Games - CHECK. CHECK. CHECK.

No comments:

Post a Comment