Monday, April 21, 2014

Vine Hopping Stellenbosch





I admit it, I have my vices and I would like to keep each and every one.


Stellenbosch agreed that I should not give them up and provided me the best red wine I have tasted (and also the cheapest!) of anywhere in the world.


Stellenbosch is a valley east of Cape Town that is home to the best and largest producing wine vineyards in the continent. It is situated on the banks of a river and hidden from the strong ocean winds that can plague Cape Town leaving the vines to grow under the protection of Table Mountain. And it is everything you are imagining and more.


There are over 200 wine producers and vineyards so you won't be able to hit them all but after spending the afternoon vineyard hopping, these are some of our favorites.


Starting at Annandale, this vineyard is owned by a world famous, fifth generation rugby legend who doesn't sell his wine to the public. His accountant, Pierre, does the wine tastings and he only provides wine for his favorite tasters.


and the royal family. The only wine served at the wedding of Prince Albert and Charlene of Monaco in 2011, this was a left over bottle that we convinced Pierre to open. Named Chalbert (Charlene+Albert - get it?!) it was a favorite for good reason.


The estate is a horse farm and reminded me of my southern home in Aiken.


This should top your list of vineyards in the region and tell Pierre I said "Hello!"


Our next stop was Middelvlei, where we were welcomed by a tortoise and a wallaby at the front door (yes, really) and walked into a cozy den with a fireplace and a friendly braii on the veranda.



 After filling our tummies and slowing the wine effects, we were taught the wine making process and siphoned out our own wine from barrels.


 And barrels...


Which is where things got ....silly. In the best way they could.


On to Fairview, this vineyard was located in Paarl and was the most "corporate" of the bunch. It was crawling with tourists, had a full shop of cheese and jams, and a restaurant that served a limited, but delicious menu.


We did a standard tasting, had a selection of six wines that were each paired with a cheese for R25 or $2.30USD.

Can I do this tasting over and over again for $2.30!?

On the return to Cape Town, Katie and I won a bottle of wine that we shared with the flight attendant in our group that was retiring on KLM the following day.


I just love those flight attendants.

And I love red wine from South Africa. When you go, drink lots of pinotage. Or an even better suggestion, just bring me back some pinotage.


Bring me back all of the pinotage. And Pierre. 

No comments:

Post a Comment