Monday, April 9, 2012

Pimento Cheese and Bubba

Spring only finally arrives for me on Steeplchase and Masters Weekends in Aiken. Once the weather gets a bit warmer and the flowers begin to bloom I begin to crave Aiken, and my grandparents home, and walking the dirt road in the humid mornings, and running on the polo fields.

Aiken is the perfect Southern town - small and quiet, lined with magnolias and horse prints.


It was my year for badges to the Masters and John and I went to cheer on Bubba Watson and Rickie Fowler (sorry, Rory) and enjoy pimento cheese sandwiches and cheap beers. We came over Friday night and took my grandmother to Linda's (her favorite) and showed him through downtown.
It is always a blessing to be able to attend Masters Sunday, to see Tiger in his red, and walk the course. We arrived as the gates opened, set up our chairs on 16 and walked to catch our favorite players tee off. John was rooting for Freddie Couples who was playing an awesome tournament all week but I was rooting for a Bubba win. We bet beers on each hole and I will proudly report that I kicked John's butt. Don't mess with my golf skills.

Or at least my golf gambling skills.

The day was perfect and we witness so much excitement from being tied on the 18th, to seeing a UGA grad win, and Oos' double eagle.  
Plus I think I got my base tan covered for Cabo on Thursday...



No comments:

Post a Comment