Thursday, April 18, 2013

Faux Friday

I am blessed with the best schedule in the world - at least better than some of the other working stiffs out there -- or that is what I tell myself until I run away full time to be in the circus or be a full time travel blogger. For now, I am leaning on Plan B.

Plan B isn't too horrible since I spend my Wednesdays 100% out of work. It's perfect - in the summer they are my sit by the pool, lake, or on the roof of my house and soak up copious amounts of Vitamin D - better known as my tanning days.

However, with Winter too stubborn to let the bathing suits return, they have become my hiking days (and school work days but I will refrain from going into that). Which makes Tuesday a fun faux Friday night and Wednesday a blissful faux Saturday morning and afternoon.

Today I spent the day the best way I know how:
A perfect cup of coffee

 An early morning hike to Tullulah Gorge

A quick jaunt on a cloud

And a trip to the farm to pick up beautiful rustic veggies at Jaemor Farms.

If you are in Georgia (or anywhere close) please check it out - it's a great little farm with homemade jams and jellies, breads and pickled okras (for those Sunday morning Bloody Marys). And in the summertime they have the most delicious home churned ice cream. It is a bit naughty but worth every bite. Just tell yourself it is home made from fresh picked peaches to soothe your guilt.

I spent the afternoon using the vegetables the best way I know how - roasted and chopped up for my last soup of the season. Soup is my favorite thing to cook once the leaves start changing and my boots come on. Usually by this time I am souped-out but with so many vegetables out there was time for one more - filled lots of veggies and a perfect way to keep me scrounging the rest of the work week.

I never follow a definitive recipe, just adding the best veggies I can get my hands on or a handful of spinach and spices. As well as being topped with a basil pesto to stir in for added flavor.

1 16 oz box of vegetable broth
1 can plum tomato, chopped
1 head cauliflower
1 C lentils, drained and rinsed
1 medium zucchini, peeled and chopped
2 medium carrots
2 stalks celery
1 t thyme
1 T olive oil
1 T garlic, minced
salt and pepper to taste

So excited for yummy lunches for the rest of the week:)

For the basil pesto

Throw everything in a food processor and blend
basil leaves
1/2 C parmasean cheese
3 T extra virgin olive oil
1 T minced garlic
1/2 t salt

Optional, but always my favorite part to stir in the soup or slather of crunchy French bread.

Now on to REAL Friday:):)

No comments:

Post a Comment