Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Celebrating the Masters with Blackberry Crumb Cake

It is that time of year again. It is MASTERS WEEK!

Spring has FINALLY sprung, my flowers are in bloom, and my coats have finally been put away (and I am not getting them back out this time - even if I freeze).

I took a chance and planted roses early - my first try with the flowers, they are fragrant with lots of blooms so far.

Although it is not my year for badges, we are making the trip to Aiken this weekend, when my family will all descend on the sleepy little horse town that is the center of the world for the week.

There is nothing quite like walking Augusta National and the feeling of South Carolina in the Spring. It is a Mint Sweet Tea, Lilly dress, and sunhat afternoon.

With Steeplechase rained out this year I am craving Aiken and my Grandmother's home and since I cannot go empty handed I whipped up a Sour Cream Blackberry crumb cake - do I post too many sweets recipes?

Probably.

I cannot say no to blackberries - its a fact.

Rinsed and only a few stolen off the top - these were dried and far out of reach of my hands.

For the cake:1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup sugar
2 tsp. baking powder
¼ tsp. baking soda
¼ tsp. salt
3 eggs
1 cup sour cream
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2 cups fresh blackberries

In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. In a second bowl, whisk together the eggs, sour cream and vanilla until well blended. Form a well into the center of flour mixture and pour in liquid ingrediants. Fold together and be careful not the overmix.

Pour 1/2 batter into greased pan and then dot with blackberries as desired. Add remaining batter over the blackberries and add crumb mixture on top with additional berries.

For the crumb topping:½ cup all-purpose flour
1/3 cup sugar
1/2 tsp lemon zest
4 tbsp. (2 oz.) unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly
1/2 cup sliced almonds (optional)

Bake at 350 for 35-40 minutes.

When removed from oven, pound the pan one time quickly to condense the sour creaam and add to the density of the cake.
Serve in the morning with coffee or at night with ice cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment