Sunday, April 14, 2013

and Basil

I finally got to planting the vegetable garden which have not gotten in the ground due to the weather and trying new recipes for the basil that is already growing rampently.

Filled my car with plants and soil


Cucumbers, zucchini, tomatoes, jalapeno peppers, and squash to start.

I am growing cottonwood basil this year - smaller leaves and less chopping and blanching for the pestos, salads, and now aiolis that I will be making.

I tried a new Basil Aioli which was great on my turkey wrap for lunch and grilled chicken and quinoa I served for dinner.

For the Aioli:
6 large basil leaves or 1/2 C small cottonwood leaves I was using
1 T minced garlic
1 egg with yolk
1 T lemon juice
1 t kosher salt
1/2 C Extra Virgin Olive Oil

Bring water to a rolling boil and blanch leaves for 20 seconds. This is not necessary but pulls out the fragrance of the basil. Dry with paper towel and place in food processor or finely chop.

Add in garlic, egg, lemon juice, and salt and blitz until basil chopped. Drizzle with the oils between choppings. Mixture will get thick and emulsified.



Can store in fridge in airtight container for up to three days.


Perfect addition to my Roasted Jalepeno Turkey and Avocado Wraps for Saturday afternoon lunch dates.


No comments:

Post a Comment