Saturday, January 18, 2014

Buford Highway Farmer's Market

J and I finally made our way over to the Buford Highway Farmer's market this past weekend. I had been putting off the trip because I never thought it could compare to my always favorite, Dekalb Farmer's Market, one of the best places to stock up on interesting goodies with amazing prices, I still trek there even though I don't live in Decatur any longer.

Buford Highway is more grocery store than I anticipated, but I have to admit I was pleasantly surprised! Look at these beautiful greens...


Living close to Buford Highway has had more perks than cons (and more restaurants than I can even try to take on) but with the market close enough to be my go-to grocery store, I am imagining many interesting meals and lots of ancient herbal tribal teas in my future.

The produce section isn't anything too exotic. They have a great selection of fresh vegetables and hard to find items stocked next to the usual brands you will find at your local store.



We made the mistake of taking on the market on a Saturday afternoon, so we grabbed produce items on our list and instead ventured down the aisles and through the seafood to scope out the place.


This wasn't on my list this time but will be a definite need for party supplies this summer


The market is organized by regions of the world which is one of my favorite ideas. You can stroll down aisles of your country looking for foods from your past or bringing back traveling memories.


While shopping in "Eastern Europe" I came across items I used to live on during my time in Poland. It was nice to remember those days again - I never thought I would be able to chase another drink with these soft drinks and juices again!

The majority of the market is devoted to seafood. Shrimp and oysters, fresh made sushi, and the usual items that I know what to do with.

  

But most were items that will have to be taken back to the resident chefs to prepare.


The prices are the best I have seen and if you try to avoid any farm raised products, each is labeled as such so you know exactly what you are getting.


The employees were helpful, available to tell you where each was caught or imported in from. And present in every part of the store, handing out taste treats or helping customers find specific items.


Making our way home, we used our "Italy" items to treat ourselves to extra crispy Brushetta and a bottle of delicious Chianti. 


We also tried a Malbec from Argentina (great!), an Italian Chianti (great!), and a Cabernet from San Francisco made by two traveling musician brothers (though I don't understand how they travel with a vineyard) but it tasted like cigarettes.


If I didn't love wine so much, my grocery bills would be so much cheaper.

No comments:

Post a Comment