Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Photo to Canvas Transfers

I can't stop buying canvases.


I have 20+ sitting in my craft box for the better part of a year and keep waiting for a perfect project to use them.

Since we all know I have a small obsession with Mod Podge (but who doesn't) I wanted to try the photo to canvas transfers that I endlessly pin on my "Projects." board.

I printed out some favorite photos - Montana from our dock on Polson Lake and mojitos from Cabo. I am craving Cabo with every fiber of my being right now so if anyone wants to take a small trip down, please let me know! 

You will need:
  • Photos of your choice printed on plain, computer paper 
  • Scissors 
  • Mod Podge Photo Transfer Medium
  • Paint or sponge brush 

Print your photos on plain, computer paper. The thinner the paper that you print on, the easier it will be to remove and expose the image on your canvas.

Spread a thin, even layer of the Mod Podge photo medium with your sponge or paint brush onto the canvas and lay the paper (with photo facing down!) on top. Remove all bubbles* and smooth out as best possible.


*Not as shown here.

Use scissors to trim the sides but leave just enough so you won't be struggling to grab an edge to pull the paper off after it has dried. Leave the canvas to dry overnight and then remove the paper as best possible. You will get paper residue but don't be afraid to scratch, wet, and rub the canvas until you see your photo.


I wanted the photos to have an almost vintage look to them so I scrubbed at the sides and peeled back at the edges.



And was finally left with only canvas! To shine the pictures back up and remove the last of the paper, use a furniture polish - I used Old English oil that I use to scrub my floors and it did the trick.


A little rustic and worn and exactly how I wanted them!

This is definitely a project I can improve upon next time I give it a try - and with all the photo medium I have now, expect many more tries at it.

No comments:

Post a Comment