Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Prohibition

Let me start by saying I know I am behind on this spot. I don't make it to East Andrews very often (for obvious reasons as it is in the epicenter of Buckhead bar scene) so when the bartender asked if I was interested in the number to get in I quickly accepted. If you are like me, you are usually wondering at this point how you even ended up at EA but Prohibition is your answer.


Prohibition can be tricky to get in, it is not a spot you can plan to go, instead you must be asked by a bartender if you want in. It never hurts to bat those eyelashes and wear the dress code (dudes you are going to need a collar or suit jacket here) which will up your chances for the coveted number. Once the bartender slides the napkin over, go to the designated phone booth, and dial.


The number changes each weekend so you won't have luck with this one unfortunately!


Dial the number on the rotary phone, wait for the buzzer, and the wall fades away into the past. Jazz music played all night as we sipped Manhattans next to a roaring fireplace on big lush couches.


They have great cocktails and one of the best bartenders in Atlanta, but be ready to pay the usual 2013 prices. Most drinks average around $12 but juices are fresh, ice is hand chopped off a big block behind the bar, and all liquor is top-shelf. Sure it is a gimmick, but it does a great job of being authentic about it and truly feels like a Prohibition area bar with all the glitz and mystery to go along with it.


The crowds are kept small and the staff is friendly offering the best service, cigars, and booze of any place I have been in awhile. It is definitely worth a pop in if you get the number, but if its just too cold to venture out lately (and I don't blame you) make your own Manhattans at home on these cold winter nights.

My new favorite taste treat for my Manhattans are cherries marinated in brandy. Toss them in your drinks and enjoy - 

Brandy Marinated Cherries
Fresh cherries (can use frozen but thaw and dry so not soggy)
1/2 C Brandy
1/2 C Sugar
1/2 C Water
Lidded jars

Combine water + sugar and boil on the stove until sugar is dissolved.Add brandy and allow to cool.
Pop your cherries in jar - make sure to leave room for liquids. Pour the sugar, water, brandy mix over the cherries. Cover with lid and marinate. Two weeks to one month is ideal. Toss in your Manhattans or on top of vanilla yogurt.

The Manhattan that started it all, I first stole this recipe from my bartender in Vegas. You can learn so much there!



No comments:

Post a Comment