Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Birthday projects for the Edisto trip!




There is nothing quite like the South. The accents, sweet tea, preppy outfits, college game days, and sweet cold iced tea are the characteristics that always get mentioned; but there is one other factor that every Southern knows to be true and will tell you about where that person came from.

 

The beach trip.


I grew up in Montana but still each summer we would venture South, pile the family in the car, and spend a few weeks on the beach. Every family has their own destination, many people head to their condos in Hilton Head where they tennis at the club and lunch with friends. Others will head farther North to experience Myrtle Beach or the Outer Banks. For us, the South Carolina coast beckoned and we would head right outside the beautiful city of Charleston to Edisto Island.


My childhood vacations were spent here with 11 other cousins sharing bunk beds and boogie boards. This place holds a special place for all of us. Where we learned to swim and search for sharks teeth, when we would take off on our bikes, and duke it out over who would take home the sacred sand castle contest trophy for the season. Some days we would take a sun hiatus play in the marshes.

 

Or travel to Charleston and shop at the slave markets and stop for seafood on the road side shops with as much history and character as delicious food they serve. 

Displaying Image-1.png

So when it was time to celebrate my Mother's birthday, there was only one place for us all to meet to spend a relaxing and tipsy four days in our home away from home.


But before there can be a party, there must always be DIY birthday projects.


And I am not sure which I enjoy more. Birthday hats and props are always high on the list of necessities for my mother and I when planning a party. We love silly photos and tipsy photo-ops so I knew I needed just the riiiight hat for the job.


Using an old hat top hat from last Christmas, I removed the holly and snowflakes and set to work rolling and gluing and cutting strips of scrapbook paper. I cut 12X12 scrap book paper into fours for longer candles and into six strips for smaller candles. Or what would become the candles.


Roll each and glue the ends, cut out "flames" to attach inside, and glued each on to the top hot. 


I am a bit obsessed with photo booths at the moment (and every moment) and have large frames that we pose in during all of our parties. Since I couldn't transport those to the beach I decided it was time for more photo booth supplies. 

DIY Photo Booth Props

1. Pick out hats, glasses, and any other fun accesories you like and expand to the desired size and print. 

2. Use an old cardboard box, cut flat, and glue or mod podge all of the props on the box.


3. Cut out the pieces and use an exacto knife to cut out the eyes, etc.


4. Use Popsicle sticks to glue on the backs or pierce through the middle of the cardboard.

Displaying Image-1.png
5. Then use poor Frank for your model




6. Put for all to enjoy!

I use these more often then I would like to admit...

No comments:

Post a Comment