Friday, January 27, 2012

Je ne sais pas

We arrived at Charles de Gualle at 11 AM and were ready TO. GO. I was giddy and couldn't help RUNNING through the airport.

We took the RER to the Metro and on the train I let my mind absorb everything - the architecture of the buildings that bring you back to a different time. Not just a few buildings, but everywhere. There is no modern architecture and it is perfect that way. It has character and it adds to the beauty and romanticism of the city, as does the language which to me always sounded like a mumbling, angry Frenchmen but when I am standing in the city its exquisite and mesmerizing.


I hate when I travel and come into a new place that is still speaking English. France is NOT one of those places. I know a few words to get by and I do admit, having helpful, multilingual countries has gotten me out of ALOT of obstacles and I am grateful for it; but the trip never seems real or complete if everyone is altering their life, their culture for me and honestly, my ignorance. It is a thrilling experience to be lost in a country with no way of direct communication, it feels like the real way to travel.

After dropping our packs we went out to explore. We walked the streets and took in the city. We were staying only two blocks away from the Eiffel Tower. It is huge, bigger than I ever imagined and so beautiful at night. From anywhere in the city you can see it bright and magical in the sky and every hour it twinkles with lights for five minutes. Its breathtaking, unreal, and unbelievable to be standing in its shadow. Most landmarks are smaller or disappointing in person but the Eiffel Tower exceeds any expectations you have in size or beauty.

We waited to ride to the top and it is worth every penny to do so. We went up at night and the view is amazing.

The view from above overlooking the Seine.
An Eiffel Tower, over the edge, selfie.

WE MADE IT ON TOP OF THE EIFFEL TOWER MY LOVES!


I am easily falling in love with being in France. Everyone has been kind, to go against in stereotypes you may have heard, and have not told me off eventhough I am juxtaposing my French and Spanish constantly. Si, Qui. Je ne seis pas, Gracias.

Embarrassing.

No comments:

Post a Comment