Saturday, January 28, 2012

Just me and Mona

We woke up on our first full day in Paris and walked to the market for crepes and flowers. I am doing Paris on a shoestring budget and instead ate a protein bar and cafe americano. If I can survive on protein bars and one small meal a day, I can have enough for attractions and an extra glass of wine.

It is important to know your own traveling priorities and I will gladly live off ramen noodles to be in Paris or Thailand or Utah or Vancouver for a day. Not many people will agree with me, but in order to take the trip, I will make the sacrifices I need to.

We are only in town for a few days and have our plan set to "Crash Course Paris." I think I have everyone convinced to make the trek out to Versailles but everything else we will visit is in the city. Our first stop was to walk to "heaven" or Montemartre, the highest point in Paris and the location of the Sacre-Coeur, and honestly my favorite stop. We sat on the steps of the church and listened to a gentleman with a guitar sing songs in French and Spanish, and even some in English. The view was breathtaking - overlooking the rooftops of Paris, remembering all they have seen and endured.



We stopped for croques and vin at La Quasimodo and walked over to the Notre Dame to pray and attend service.

Attending service in Notre Dame - blessed.


We walked along the Seine, enjoying the city and the beautiful views and winding our way through the streets to the Arc de Triomphe and down the Champs-Elysees to the Place de la Concorde and finally to the Louvre.


The Louvre was free to anyone under 26 - woo! Make sure to look up any nightly or special deals when traveling - it will save you a bundle.


Inside the Louvre we got lost in the foundations, there are many twisted turns and nooks and crannies that get you turned around or make you stumble onto something beauitful. It was in this way that we came upon the Mary Magdelena, Venus de Milo, and standing directly in front of the Mona Lisa.

And also had other fun while we were there as well.


After the Louvre we rested our feet and drank some vin before leaving again for our own "Midnight in Paris." Walking the streets and experiencing the city, walking back to the Eiffel Tower for late night drinks and beignets (or a protein bars in my case).

But who cares, I am in PARIS!

No comments:

Post a Comment